I’m the new Penrose Neighborhood Association President. New to the role, I want to get a feeling about where our association should focus. Our Constitution says:
“Generally, the purpose of the Association is:
- To stimulate and encourage good citizenship.
- To promote better physical conditions in the community.
- To stimulate the improvement of property.
- To foster closer community spirit.
- To promote the collective interests of the residents and property owners of the community.
- To assist the community in obtaining information, services, and improvements from the County and State.
- To represent the community in relations with the County Government.”
If you want to read the Constitution, it’s here: http://penroseneighborhood.org/about-penrose/constitution/ (So much grander than Bylaws, right?)
Having been a member of the association for the past 5+ years, I think we are true to our purpose. The thing I am hearing the most is a desire to focus on number 4 and to increase participation in the association. There are really interesting things going on in Arlington and we can use the association to keep abreast and also participate in county groups. Since I’ve joined we’ve brought lots of new trees to private homes and apartment complexes, we’ve worked with the county to prepare the bike path plans, street updates, evaluate school issues, and more. We’ve hosted social events, like the picnic, social meetings in Penrose restaurants, etc.
An association is only as good at those who participate. What could we do that would generate your interest? Do you have any specific interests that you could bring to the association? I’d sincerely appreciate hearing from you. Drop a comment or a reply to the listserv or Facebook or comment on this blog.
Oh, and we need a treasurer. Easy job, really.
Maria “Pete” Durgan
6th St. S
By Maria Pete Durgan at 8 Nov 2015, 19:14 PM